Tuesday 11 March 2008

Things To Do Even If You Don't Live In Denver

Have you tried singing in the bathroom yet?
Drive the family round the bend
Something by Lou Reed or Wet Wet Wet
Is what I would recommend

Have you tried to climb a Munro so far?
It’s quite a challenge is that
You’ll feel 3000 feet taller than you are
(Wear good strong shoes and a hat)

If you haven’t written a poem by this time
Do so and I think you’ll find
Not only how life and reason can rhyme
But how closely they’re intertwined

How about skydiving out of a plane?
Step right out into the blue
If you fall for that, you must be insane
But maybe sanity’s just not for you

And have you considered the Deity?
Not doing so could seem a little odd
Should you a believer or agnostic be?
There's a question you might keep for God

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice one , Tom. I'd go for your recommendations apart from singing Wet Wet Wet or jumping from a plane! Stepping out into the blue is a good idea, though. Reminds me of a time, a few years ago, when I was going through a bit of a crisis and someone said to me, 'What do you think will happen if you just let go?'. Sometimes, its worth trying!

tom said...

Yes SB, I really don't like WWW but they and Lou Reed were the best bathroom puns I could come up with!

Cheers, Tom

Anonymous said...

Heh-heh...Lou Reed - NOW I get it!
There was once a band called Bogshed, I seem to recall.

Rock on!

* said...

Things

Elswhere in the temple the llamas are gearing up
To assault tiger mountain when the sun comes up

Deconstructing Hollywood into the sand
Putting it back together with a rubber band
Legendary failures of the silver screen
Mimicking the software they end up in

Doing it -(doing the things)
Doing it -(doing the things)
Things you do in Denver when you're dead

A month is a saturday wednesday is a week
I saw the way you nlooked at her Charlie Brown good grief
She pulled you into shadows and taught you how to love
Patted you on the head and gave you a gentle shove

The sexual exuberance of a concubine checking my carburettor one more time
With the passion of a thoroughbred and the sensitivity of a moose you
Rarely make a move unless you find some proof that i've been doing it
We sat around whispering in the candlelight
Missing the essentials of a game plan for the night
Learning about the difference between north and south
Keep your gun in yr pocket and your tongue in yr mouth

extra verse:

You live in Paris
I live in France
Things are expensive when you live 1st class
I learnt latin
You learnt greek
When you've got a minute
We'll meet in Crete

- John Cale