Wednesday 19 March 2008

Jean Anderson, My Jo (with apologies to Robert Burns)

Burns' original poem is John Anderson, my jo...jo in this context being an old Scottish word for companion. My poem is really nothing like the great man's but I nicked the first line, changed the gender and went on from there...

Jean Anderson, my jo
Mrs Brummel, my beau
love is easy, come and go
nip and tuck, ebb and flow
say goodbye and not hello
tell me that its isn't so
dance with me for one more show
heel-to-heel, toe-to-toe
be my friend and not my foe
whisper all the lies you know
speak of neither weal nor woe
say it soft and sing it low
and when the wildest winds do blow
and weeds within my garden grow
I'll give the nod to Life & Co
....and think of you

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great number of rhymes with 'jo'!
I like this.

tom said...

The challenge was to find as many rhymes for jo as possible...I like setting out parameters or limits for some things. Have you heard of the oulipo movement in France? George Perec was a leading light. They structure their work around very tightly defined rules...Perec famously wrote an entire novel without the letter E. Even more amazingly, it was translated into English with the same restriction!

Anonymous said...

Never heard of these fellows. The novel sounds an impossibility but I like the idea of strict parameters. I'll have to think about that some more.